Bukayo is a Filipino dessert made from sweetened coconut strips. It is made by simmering strips of young, gelatinous coconut (buko) in water and then mixing with white or brown sugar. It can also be used as garnishing and fillings for other desserts.
- 2 young coconut, shredded and reserve buko juice
- 1 set of pandan leaves
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
For coconut juice-sugar mixture:
- In a large pot, add young coconut juice and bring it to a boil together with sugar and pandan leaves. Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick.
- Carefully remove pandan leaves and add vanilla extract. Stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat oil and add the shredded coconut meat. Stir fry until it turns light brown but do not toast to much. Drain oil and turn off heat.
Make a Slurry:
- In small bowl, add cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and dissolve it. Add the slurry into the cooked shredded coconut meat and mix it well.
- Over medium to low heat, add shredded coconut into the coconut juice-sugar mixture. cook it and blend well until it becomes caramelized.
- If preferred, you may also add in 1 cup condensed milk at this point for a milky take of bukayo. (optional)
- Transfer the cooked bukayo into a large bowl and divide it into serving sizes. You can scoop it in little balls and use a wilted banana liners to serve.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.