The Jelly Flan is a gulaman dessert with sugar, eggs and milk. This is comparable and a far less expensive to leche flan, the appearance and flavor are quite near the actual thing. It’s easy and simpler to cook.
Jelly Flan Recipe
- 1 25-gram pack Mr. Gulaman (or any unflavored, powdered gelatin)
- 5 1/2 cup water
- 1 12 oz. can Evaporated milk (or 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 pieces Egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla or lemon extract (for flavoring)
- Pinch of egg yellow food color
- 9 tbsp. sugar (to caramelize)
- Prepare four oval-shaped tin cans or llanera by caramelizing 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar by direct heat on each one. Set aside.
- Using a saucepan, dissolve the unflavored Mr.Gulaman in water and heat over medium heat.
- Add in the sugar and milk, stirring until bubbly along the sides of the pan but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and add a tablespoon at a time (up to a cup of the hot mixture) on to the egg yolks while beating continuously. Make sure the egg yolk doesn’t get cooked and turned into scrambled eggs.
- Add the cup of the egg yolk mix back to the pot to heat up but without bringing to a boil.
- Strain the mixture on to the prepared llaneras and set aside or refrigerate to set.
- Serve chilled.