Sweet Coconut Rice with Mangoes – This luscious dessert is a form of rice pudding that is paired with mangos at the peak of their ripeness. Sweet and rich! This dessert is a favorite way to finish after a very satisfied meal.
Sweet Coconut Rice with Mangoes Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Short-grain sticky rice (see notes)
- Water to cover
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups Brown or palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 Mangoes, peeled and sliced or cubed
- 1 for each portion Mint sprigs (optional)
- Place the rice in a large bowl and fill bowl with enough water to cover rice by 2 to 3 inches. Let soak for at least 3 hours or, if possible, overnight. This is an important step, so don’t skip it.
- Drain and rinse the rice. Set up a steamer (steel or bamboo) over about 3 inches of water and line the inside with moistened cheesecloth. Pour the soaked rice into steamer. Bring the water to a boil over medium flame, cover tightly and steam the rice for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the coconut milk, sugar and salt to a slow simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat. Do not boil.
- When rice is finished, remove it to a large bowl. Stir half the sweetened coconut milk into the rice. Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Place the coconut rice in a large bowl or individual serving bowls. Lay a few pieces of mango on the side and garnish with a mint sprig. Pour a little of the remaining coconut milk over each portion and serve at room temperature.