Ube Yema cake is like a spongy ube cake covered with flavoured ube yema fillings known as custard-like combination of milk ang egg yolks top with white cheese. This is also a good venture business if you’ll need a side income.
Ube Yema Cake Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup purple yam
- 4 pcs egg yolk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp liquid ube flavor
- 1 tsp liquid purple food color
- 4 pcs egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 big can alaska condensed milk
- 1big can evap milk
- 1 tsp ube flavoring
- 1 tsp ube liquid food color
- 1-2 cups grated cheese
- Greased your Laneras with butter or oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Next step is to combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Mix well until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
For the Meringue:
- In a bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peak forms. (Hint: stiff peak is when it doesn’t fall even when you invert your bowl) slowly add the sugar once the meringue is stiff as you beat it.
- Slowly fold the meringue into the cake batter in three portions. Use the cut and fold technique to combine the batter. Don’t stir but just fold to retain the air bubbles of the meringue. (Fold is when you turn it like you’re folding a lengthwise paper.)
- Preheat the water on your steamer.
- Once your steamer is boiling. Pour your cake mixture into your greased lanera and steam for 25-40 mins. Cover your pot first with cloth on top and then place the pot cover. (to avoid water drippings after the prescribe time, do a toothpick test by inserting it in the center part. It’s already cooked if it comes out clean. Set it aside and make sure to let it cool first before doing the next step.
- Once cooled, remove from molder by running a knife on the edge and flip it upside down using a plate.
For the Ube Yema Frosting:
- Using double broiler, combine all milk, egg yolks, ube coloring and ube flavor over a low heat and stir for about 5-10 mins until it slightly thickens. It gets thicker as it cools down.
- Set aside to cool.
- Pour your ube yema frosting on top to cover the cake. And sprinkle grated cheese evenly on top.
- Serve and enjoy!