Adobong baboy sa gata or pork adobo in coconut milk is a version of Filipino adobo dish wherein coconut cream is added towards the end of the cooking process. The additional ingredient makes the regular adobong baboy richer and more interesting.
Adobong Baboy Sa Gata Recipe
- 1 kg pork shoulder, cut into 2- inch cubes
- 250 g water
- 125 g vinegar
- 60 g soy sauce
- 225 g coconut milk
- 1pc onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 4 pcs Thai chili peppers, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- In a pot, combine the pork, onions, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, water, vinegar and soy sauce. Apply medium heat and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes (skim scum that floats on top).
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Drain the meat and reserve the aromatics and 1 cup of the liquid.
- Pour the oil in a wide pan over medium heat. Add meat and aromatics and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add- in the reserved liquid, coconut milk, and chili peppers.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is completely cooked and sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!