Kaldereta or caldereta is usually a goat meat stew with veggies and liver paste, originated from the Philippines. This dish has many variations, you could use chicken, beef or beef. You can combined vegetables including tomatoes, potatoes, olives, bell peppers and hot chili peppers; kaldereta sometimes cooked with tomato sauce.
Beef Kaldereta Recipe
- 1 kilo beef kenchi or stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 2 pcs potatoes, cut into pieces.
- 1 large carrot, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- pepper to taste
- bird’s eye chili (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot. Fry potatoes and carrots until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan,sauté garlic and onion until onion becomes translucent.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Pour in tomato sauce and half the coconut milk. Mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer in very low heat for 1½ hours until beef becomes very tender. Add water if needed.
- Add liver spread and the rest of the coconut milk. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, potatoes, carrots, black olives, and bell pepper plus pepper to taste.
- Add chopped bird’s eye chili if you like it spicy. Simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!