Beef Kansi is an Ilonggo dish that is a cross between Bulalo and Sinigang. This dish is flavored with batwan, lemon grass and vegetables like green jack fruit, bok choy and eggplant. Batwan or Batuan is the original souring ingredients to this recipe but since batwan are hard to find when outside Ilonggo region, we used tamarind sinigang mix.
Beef Kansi Recipe
- 2-3 lbs beef with bones
- 2 stalk lemon grass
- 1 bunch pechay, remove ends
- 2 cups green jack-fruit, sliced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into bite size
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2-3 pieces green finger chilies
- whole corn (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp knorr tamarind sinigang mix
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a big pot add beef, onions and lemongrass. Add water to cover the meat. Bring into a boil in high heat. Skim off scums accumulated on the surface.
- Simmer for an hour or two until meat are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Season with fish sauce and ground pepper. Continue cooking for few minutes.
- Add jack-fruit, whole corn (if using) and chili peppers. Continue cooking for 10 minutes or until jack-fruit is tender.
- Add slices of eggplant and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with knorr sinigang mix and more fish sauce or salt if needed.
- Add pechay and cook for few minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.