Bicol Express is the best comfort food! With red pork meat cubes cooked in coconut milk and chili peppers, it is rich, creamy, highly spiced and delicious! Serve with steamed rice for a hearty and satisfying flavored meal!
Bicol Express Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 2 pounds pork belly, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 14 pieces Thai chili peppers, stemmed and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a wide pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add shrimp paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Add coconut cream and chili peppers. Continue to cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce begins to render fat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.