Calamares is the Filipino style of pan fried battered squid rings presented with pureed tomatoes mayonnaise plunge. Calamares or Calamari is a broiled squid dish from the Mediterranean Region.
- 1 kilo large squids
- 3 kalamansi
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
- To clean squid, pull out head and the innards will come out with it.
- Discard ink sacks and entrails cut/discard the eyes and the teeth keep aside the tentacles.
- Wash squid and drain.
- Slice body into 1 cm crosswise. Cut tentacles in proportion to sliced body.
- Place sliced squid in the bowl, drizzle with kalamansi juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the bowl of sliced squid in the refrigerator to marinate and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to fry.
- Beat egg in a big bowl mix in cornstarch 1/2 cup of water to make a batter season with salt and pepper to taste, place the all purpose flour in another bowl.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok at medium heat.
- Dip squid rings in prepared batter then dredge in flour.
- Deep fry squid rings a few pieces at a time for 30-45 seconds or until they turn to golden yellow.
- Do not overcook as this will make the squid gummy.
- Remove squid rings from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with a choice of dipping sauce.