Chicken Afritada is Filipino chicken dish in tomato sauce with potatoes, and bell peppers, carrots. One benefit of cooking this dish is the much less cooking time concerned as it makes use of chicken meat as opposed to red meat like pork or beef. You can use nearly any parts of the chicken relying to your preference.
Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ kilo chicken legs or thigh, chop into serving pieces
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. patis
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 medium size carrot, cut into wedges
- 1 medium sized potato, quartered
- ½ cup cooked green peas or chick peas (garbanzos)
- ⅓ cup grated cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1 green or red bell pepper, slice into squares
- Saute garlic and onion until fragrant. Then add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add patis and stir cook until the patis has evaporated, then add the tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until the chicken is tender and almost cooked.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Simmer again until carrot and potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cheese, green peas, black pepper, bay leaf and bell peppers and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!