Chicken Asado (also called Asadong Manok) is a piquant Filipino chicken stew cooked in a tomato based sauce with potatoes. Chicken asado is both sweet and salty, using soy sauce, brown sugar and other spices.
Chicken Asado Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (1.2 to 1.5 kg)
- 1 L Sprite (lemon-lime soda)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 3 bunches lemongrass (tanglad), tied into knots
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 medium red onion, sliced (for sautéing)
- 5 pcs star anise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp crushed peppercorn
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Place the chicken on a plate or bowl.
- Pour-in soy sauce all over the chicken then sprinkle the crushed peppercorn, rubbing all over the chicken.
- Insert the onion and lemongrass into the cavity of the chicken and let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Pour and heat the oil in a large cooking pot.
- When hot enough, sauté the onion and garlic until the onion becomes soft.
- Add- in the marinated chicken (reserve marinade).
- Cook one side in medium heat for 3 minutes then turn the chicken over and cook the opposite side for 3 minutes.
- Pour the remaining marinade and Sprite (or any similar product) and let it boil.
- Add-in the star anise.
- Cover and cook between low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to boil the opposite side for 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pot.
- Slice in half and arrange on a serving plate.
- Continue to cook the sauce in the cooking pot until it reduces to half.
- Add- in the garlic powder and onion powder then stir.
- Filter the sauce using a kitchen sieve or strainer then pour all over the chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!