Chicken Asado (also called Asadong Manok) is a piquant Filipino chicken stew cooked in a tomato based sauce with potatoes. Chicken asado is both sweet and salty, using soy sauce, brown sugar and other spices.
Chicken Asado Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (1.2 to 1.5 kg)
- 1 L Sprite (lemon-lime soda)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 3 bunches lemongrass (tanglad), tied into knots
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 medium red onion, sliced (for sautéing)
- 5 pcs star anise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp crushed peppercorn
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Place the chicken on a plate or bowl.
- Pour-in soy sauce all over the chicken then sprinkle the crushed peppercorn, rubbing all over the chicken.
- Insert the onion and lemongrass into the cavity of the chicken and let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Pour and heat the oil in a large cooking pot.
- When hot enough, sauté the onion and garlic until the onion becomes soft.
- Add- in the marinated chicken (reserve marinade).
- Cook one side in medium heat for 3 minutes then turn the chicken over and cook the opposite side for 3 minutes.
- Pour the remaining marinade and Sprite (or any similar product) and let it boil.
- Add-in the star anise.
- Cover and cook between low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to boil the opposite side for 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pot.
- Slice in half and arrange on a serving plate.
- Continue to cook the sauce in the cooking pot until it reduces to half.
- Add- in the garlic powder and onion powder then stir.
- Filter the sauce using a kitchen sieve or strainer then pour all over the chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.