Chicken Caldereta – Caldereta comes from the Spanish word “caldera” which means caudron. It refers to a dish of meat stewed in a pot. Traditionally, goat meat is used along with tomato paste, liver spread, red bell pepper and potatoes. It is a popular dish served during special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, fiestas and other festivities.
Chicken Caldereta or Kaldereta Recipe
- 500 gms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 250g tomato sauce
- 1 small can liver spread
- 1 cup green peas
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- fish sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Fry potatoes in cooking oil. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion.
- Add the chicken and cook until light brown. Stir in water and fish sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, liver spread, and potatoes.
- Add red bell pepper and season with salt and pepper.