The Chicken Inasal or Chicken Barbecue is the most famous dish of the Ilonggos. It is considered to be one of the oldest and most easy dishes to cook. The Chicken Inasal is everywhere. From the small barbecue stand across the street to the huge metropolis restaurants, it is really a favourite of the Filipinos.
Chicken Inasal Recipe
- 4-5 large chicken thighs with the drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons garlic- minced
- 3/4 cup lemon grass-chopped
- 1 cup coconut vinegar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice or calamansi juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup lemon soda or Sprite/7-Up
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons annatto oil (atsuete oil)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or calamansi juice
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, lemongrass, salt, ground black pepper, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon-lime soda, and lemon juice.
- Mix well then add the chicken. Place chicken in chiller and marinate for 1 to 3 hours.
- In a bowl, combine butter or margarine, annatto oil, salt, and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Cook the chicken over hot charcoal grill while basting generous amount of the margarine mixture.
- Serve hot with steamed or Java rice, sinamak, soy sauce with calamansi, and red chili peppers.