This is a tomato-sauce based chicken dish cooked together with carrots, potatoes, and bell peppers, then seasoned with soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaves. Follow the recipe guide below on how to cook this delicious chicken mechado.
Chicken Mechado Recipe
- 1 kg chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or 5 pieces of ripened tomatoes – minced)
- 1 bulb big onion (quartered)
- 1 piece laurel leaf
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pieces bell pepper (red and/or green)
- 2 pieces- medium size potatoes (quartered)
- 1 piece carrot (cut to about 1 inch)
- 1-2 cups water
- Fish sauce (patis) for seasoning
- In a wok, saute garlic and onions.
- Add chicken and stir fry until its color change to slightly brown.
- Add water (just enough to cover the chicken), tomato sauce, soy sauce, laurel leaf, bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, and black peppers. Bring to boil then lower the fire and simmer for at least 20~30 minutes or until the meat becomes tender. No need to add additional water if there are already enough build up of oil from chicken fats. Cover the pan during cooking.
- Finally, make a taste test. Add patis seasoning if necessary
- Serve while still hot.