Chili Con Carne is one of the winter staple dish. You can cook this in a big batch and then bag them for freezing. Then you can just take them out whenever you need a quick fix and reheat in the oven or microwave. It is very good with chips or rice, topped with grated cheese, and served with a big salad.
Chili Con Carne Recipe
- 1 kg minced beef (or 500 g minced beef and 500 g minced pork)
- 125 g bacon – chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 medium onions – chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp hot chili powder (or 3 Tbsp mild chili powder)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 jalapeno peppers – chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp cocoa (or 1 oz/30 g unsweetened chocolate)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce (passata)
- 400 g canned kidney beans – drained and washed
- 1 green bell pepper – chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Fry bacon until light brown.
- Saute in same oil the garlic and onion in low-medium heat until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add beef and cook until brown (another 5 minutes).
- Mix in oregano, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cocoa, and the jalapeno peppers. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients – tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to boil then turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. If the sauce becomes too dry put in some beef stock or water a little at a time.
- Mix in kidney beans and bell pepper and simmer for another hour. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.