Ginataang manok is a Filipino chicken soup made from chicken in coconut milk with green papaya and other vegetables, garlic, ginger, onion, patis or bagoong alamang, and salt and pepper. It is a type of ginataan.
Ginataang Manok Recipe
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Hot banana pepper (optional)
- Cooking oil
- Fish sauce
- 250 grams Green papaya sliced
- 50 grams moringa leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté garlic, ginger and onion then add chicken, sauté until chicken is brown
- Add water, bay leaves, vinegar, fish sauce, pepper and green papaya then simmer for about 15-30 min or until chicken is tender.
- When stock is reduced to 20 % add coconut milk and add banana pepper then simmer for about 5 minutes.
- You can substitute green papaya with sayote, squash, carrots or potato
- You may use other green vegetables to substitute for moringa leaves.