KBL or Kadyos, Baboy, Langka is the ultimate favorite dish of most Ilonggos. It is also one of the most missed native dishes as kadyos and the souring ingredient,batwan, are hard to find when outside of the Ilonggo region.
KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, Langka) Recipe
- 1 kilo Pata (pork hocks) or pork cubes, GRILLED and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 unripe Jack fruit, cubed
- 2 cups pigeon pea (kadyos)
- 6-8 pieces batwan fruit (or tamarind powder)
- 1 piece pork broth cube (optional)
- 8 cups water
- Kamote tops (optional)
- In a pot with water, boil GRILLED pork for 30-45 minutes or until it becomes tender. Notice the emphasis on the “grilled” as cooking the pork over fire or charcoal gives the broth more flavour.
- Add kadyos beans and langka cubes and boil for another 10-15 minutes until tender. For the langka, if you have big cube slices you can boil it together but if its thinner/smaller you can place it later.
- When the three ingredients are soft, add batwan (and broth cubes if desired). Make sure that the jackfruit is already tender before adding the souring ingredient of choice. Make adjustments with the quantity of water if needed.
- Season with salt and make flavor adjustments especially the sourness.
- If desired, add kamote tops and cook for 1-2 minute/s.
- Serve hot rice. Enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.