Ukoy or Okoy recipe is a well known filipino appetizer of for a side dish for lugao or goto. The main ingredient here is a mongo sprout but grated calabasa can be used also as a subtitute. Here is our method of cooking for this crispy filipino food – ukoy.
- 1 cup of gold medal all purpose flour
- Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- atsuete oil
- Shrimp juice (do this by pounding shrimp shell and head using mortar and pestle with a little water (1 1/2 cup or just use blender)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cup of mongo sprout
- 1 cup of spring onion, chopped
- 2 pcs tokwa, cut thinly flat
- 1/4 kg shrimp
SAUCE or DIPPING:
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup soysauce
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- Siling labuyo
- In a bowl, mix mix all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, beaten egg, ground pepper, and 1 1/2 cup of beaten egg, mix briskly to form batter.
- In a saucer, place a little amount of mongo sprout and top with spring onion, shrimp and slice of tokwa and add a scoop of batter just enough to the cover topping.
- In a pot, heat cooking oil and fry batter unti it becomes golden brown and crispy.
- For the dipping, just mix all of the ingredient.
- Served ukoy recipe while hot and crispy with a dipping, best served as a side dish for Goto.