Ukoy or Okoy recipe is a well known filipino appetizer of for a side dish for lugao or goto. The main ingredient here is a mongo sprout but grated calabasa can be used also as a subtitute. Here is our method of cooking for this crispy filipino food – ukoy.
- 1 cup of gold medal all purpose flour
- Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- atsuete oil
- Shrimp juice (do this by pounding shrimp shell and head using mortar and pestle with a little water (1 1/2 cup or just use blender)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cup of mongo sprout
- 1 cup of spring onion, chopped
- 2 pcs tokwa, cut thinly flat
- 1/4 kg shrimp
SAUCE or DIPPING:
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup soysauce
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- Siling labuyo
- In a bowl, mix mix all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, beaten egg, ground pepper, and 1 1/2 cup of beaten egg, mix briskly to form batter.
- In a saucer, place a little amount of mongo sprout and top with spring onion, shrimp and slice of tokwa and add a scoop of batter just enough to the cover topping.
- In a pot, heat cooking oil and fry batter unti it becomes golden brown and crispy.
- For the dipping, just mix all of the ingredient.
- Served ukoy recipe while hot and crispy with a dipping, best served as a side dish for Goto.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.