Paksiw na Pata is a pork hock stewed in vinegar, soy sauce, banana blossoms and garlic. The soy sauce brings much more aroma and taste to the dish.
Paksiw na Pata Recipe
- 4-5 pieces Ham Hocks or Pata, cut 2 inches thick
- 1 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried banana blossoms(Bulaklak ng Saging)
- 2 pcs. bayleaf(Laurel leaf)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5-6 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Mix the following together in a bowl : vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, oregano flakes and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the meat. Heat the oil and sear or brown the meat in batches. Separate the Pata from the pork shoulder. Set aside.
- In the same pot, saute the garlic and onion, then add the mixture from Step 1 and bring to a boil. Do not stir.
- Put in the seared Pata (without the pork shoulder.)
- Add enough water to cover the meat, then simmer for half an hour.
- Put in the seared pork shoulder. Add more water if necessary and simmer for another half hour or until the meats are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish off by adding the banana blossoms.
- Serve with rice.