Paksiw na Tulingan with Gata – Tulingan, also known as Mackerel Tuna, if prepared properly, is a very rich and delicious fish. It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and Coenzyme q10 which are good for the heart. However, if the fish is not cleaned properly, it can also be very dangerous. There have been cases of poisoning due to improper preparation. It is very important to clean your fish thoroughly before you cook it. You have to carefully take out all it’s intestines, making sure that the “apdo” is intact.
Paksiw na Tulingan with Gata Recipe
- 1 kilo of tulingan (whole or sliced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chopped onion
- 4 pcs sili espada
- 1/2 cup sliced eggplant
- 1/2 cup sliced ampalaya
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk (2nd extraction)
- 1 cup coconut milk (kakang gata)
- dash of pepper
- salt or patis to taste
- Put the fish in a skillet or “kaha”. You may use a clay pot if you like to have an earthy and more flavorful aroma with your paksiw. But make sure to put a large piece of banana leaf inside the pot so your fish will not get burned.
- Add in the garlic and onions.
- Pour in the vinegar and the 2nd extraction of coconut milk.
- Turn on your fire to medium heat and wait for the fish to absorb all the coconut milk and vinegar.
- Once the fish has absorbed the coconut milk and the vinegar, pour in the sliced vegetables, sili espada and the kakang gata.
- Season with salt or patis and a dash of pepper. You may add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Let the fish absorb about 50% of the kakang gata.
- Serve with hot rice
Note: You have to soak the sliced ampalaya in a water and salt solution for about 30 minutes before cooking in order to minimize it’s bitterness.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.