This Pancit Molo is so easy to make. It’s just too time consuming. Then again, all that hard work will pay off once you partake of this very garlicky Ilonggo favorite. Try this complete recipe guide below!
Pancit Molo Recipe
- a kilo of chicken. Or get those cheaper chicken back bones. You’ll just need the stock and will be shredding it of its meat later anyway.
- 1/4 kilo of shrimps
- 1/2 kilo of ground pork (I used ground chicken)
- 4 eggs: two for the meat mixture, the other two hardboiled for garnish.
- 100 pieces of wanton wrapper
- Chicken and Shrimp broth cubes
- 2 medium onions: one chopped finely, the other chopped thinly for sauteing.
- lots of minced garlic
- spring onions
- oil for sauteing
- salt and pepper
- In a pot, boil the chicken in 4 cups of water then simmer covered for an hour. Make a note to add 2 of the eggs in the last 10 or 15 minutes as you’ll be using them for garnish later. Once the chicken is cooked, take it out and shred the meat into small pieces. Get rid of the skin and keep the stock for later. As for the hardboiled eggs, peel off shells, slice to quarters, and set aside.
- While simmering the chicken stock, prepare your ingredients. Shell and devein the shrimps and chop them to small pieces. Keep aside about two spoons of the ground shrimp for sauteing. Put the heads in a bowl and gently pound them until the juices come out. Put 1/4 cup of water, mix and strain off the shrimp juice and set aside. To maximize the shrimp flavor, pour about 4 spoons of the simmering water from your chicken stock into that bowl of crushed shrimp heads until they turn red (from embarrassment?) and strain it off again, and add into the chicken stock.
- In a big bowl, blend the ground meat, finely chopped onions, a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of ground pepper, a big spoonful of garlic and two fresh eggs. Lay out the wanton wrappers one at a time, put a teaspoon of filling in the center. Get all corners and join them together to wrap it. The filling would be moist enough to keep the wrapper sticking together. Just as you did with the shrimp, keep about 2 spoons of the meat mixture for sauteing later.
- Arrange all the wrapped meat filling on a plate. If there’s too much, you may want to put half of it in a container and freeze it (that’s what I did) for future pancit molos. Same goes with the shredded chicken if there’s too much of them- use only half and keep the other half in the freezer.
- In a big pot, put three spoons of oil. Put 4 spoons of chopped garlic and fry until light brown. Scoop out half of the garlic and keep aside for garnishing later. Add the sliced onions into the pot until soft. Add the ground shrimp you kept aside earlier until cooked. Add the meat mixture you kept aside earlier until cooked. Add the shrimp juice until it changes to an orange color. Pour in chicken stock and let boil. Add chicken cube and shrimp cube and dissolve.
- Bring it to simmer and add the wanton-wrapped meat one at a time. Add the shredded chicken as well. If you find it too dry add more water. You may have to adjust the flavor again by adding half a cube of chicken and shrimp at a time. Just go easy to keep it from getting to salty. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until done.
- Arrange them in bowls and garnish with quartered hard boiled eggs, chopped spring onions, and a sprinkle of garlic. Good on its own or with rice.