Pancit palabok is a conventional Filipino dish consisting of thin rice noodles doused in a creamy shrimp-infused sauce and complemented with numerous toppings which include hard-boiled eggs, shrimps, pork chicharon, pork, scallions, and fish flakes. This palabok dish is one of the popular pancit dishes and considered an authentic Filipino invention, not like any different foreign-influenced versions.
Pancit Palabok Recipe
For Noodles and Sauce:
- 1/4 kilo miki noodles
- 1/4 cup annatto seeds
- 1/4 cup shrimps
- 4 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- Fish sauce
For Palabok Toppings:
- Hard boiled egg; sliced
- Tinapa flakes (smoked fish)
- Pork chicharon; grounded
- Fried garlic; minced
- Spring onions; chopped
- Shrimps; boiled and shelled
- Lemon or kalamansi; sliced
- Place the annatto seeds in 1/4 cup water for 30 minutes.Mash the seeds and set aside the annatto water. Discard the seeds.
- Remove the shells and heads of the shrimps. Pound and mash in 2 cups of water. Drain the shrimp juice and set aside.
- Combine the annatto water, shrimp juice, and flour. Bring to boil and season with fish sauce. Stir constantly to produce a thick sauce. Set aside.
- Place noodles in a strainer. Dip in boiling water until tender. Drain well and set aside in a platter.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles.
- Garnish with toppings.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.