Picadillo may be a dish mainly consisting of hamburger (sometimes shredded pork or chicken) typically found in Cuba, Mexico, and other Latin American countries, and within the Philippines. In Mexico it’s sometimes used as a filling, like for tacos, and may be mixed with vegetables.
It also can be prepared as a kind of stew. In Philippines where it’s referred to as “giniling” and it’s often served with rice.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 of a big white onion
- 1 medium size potato
- 1/2 kilo ground beef (other option pork and chicken)
- 2 pcs. of laurel leaves
- 2 cup water
- 2 large tomato chopped or 1 cup chunky tomatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium heat in a pan. Add chopped onions and a pinch of salt, sauté them until they start to become transparent. Add butter and garlic. Sauté until garlic starts to turn golden brown.
- Mix in the ground beef, and 1 tsp of salt. Increase heat to medium-high and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to allow the meat to evenly cook.
- Add tomatoes, potato and laurel leaves, Stir and allow to cook in medium heat for about 7 minutes, or until the potato cooks to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy and share!