This Pinoy style carbonara is stuffed with crisp bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and delicious cream sauce is a very tasty and flavorful pasta dish the which your whole family will surely love.
Pinoy Style Carbonara Recipe
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms
- 6 ounces chicken breast tenders
- 1 teaspoon salt free Italian seasoning
- cooking spray
- 4 ounces Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti or preferred whole-grain/whole-grain blend pasta
- 1 1/2 ounces Canadian-style bacon slices
- 1 each large egg
- 1/8 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- Start water to boil for pasta.
- Pulverize the dried mushrooms using a Vita-Mix blender or your food processor. It should be a mix of powdery texture and little bits when ready.
- Combine ground mushrooms with salt free Italian seasoning blend in a shallow bowl or zip-top bag.
- Coat chicken with mushroom-seasoning mix.
- Heat saute pan treated with cooking spray to medium heat. Add chicken and cook thoroughly, turning over once.
- While the chicken is cooking, start the pasta and then dice the Canadian-style bacon into confetti-sized pieces.
- Mix the egg and egg substitute in a mixing bowl that is large enough to accommodate the pasta, set aside.
- When the chicken is done, allow it to rest on a plate. Add the Canadian-style bacon to the saute pan (cover with a lid!) and allow the pieces to heat through and darken a bit. Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and add to the egg mixture waiting in the bowl. Toss to mix. The pasta needs to go quickly from the cooking water to the eggs so it will be hot enough to cook the egg mixture.
- Season with Canadian-style bacon, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Add red pepper strips. Toss to mix.
- Divide the pasta between two plates and place the chicken tenders on top of each.