Pork Estofado is a stewed pork dish presented with singed plantains. This pork formula is similar to pork adobo however, the utilization of carrots and singed plantains give differentiation to this dish.
Pork Estofado Recipe
- 3 lbs Pork, Cubed
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 5 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- 4 plantain bananas, sliced diagonally
- 1 pc Carrot sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Heat a pan and pour 1/2 cup of cooking oil, when the oil is hot enough fry the sliced plantains until each side turns to medium brown. Drain excess oil, set aside.
- In a separate cooking pot, pour the remaining oil. Once oil is hot enough put in the garlic and saute until it turns to light brown.
- Add the pork and cook until 8-10 minutes.
- Put in the soy sauce, water, whole peppercorns and dried bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until pork is tender.
- Add vinegar, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and carrots, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish the fried bananas, serve hot and Voila!