Pork Hamonado is originally a Filipino dish made of out of pork cooked together with soy sauce, sugar and pineapple. The dish is cooked until the sweetened sauce is caramelized. This Pork Hamonado is flavorful and really delicious.
Pork Hamonado Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds pork belly (boneless or bone-in), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can of pineapples)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- In a wide, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, heat oil until very hot but not smoking.
- Add pork belly in a single layer and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until all sides are lightly browned. Do NOT overcrowd the pan, cook in batches as needed.
- Remove meat from the pan and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- In the pan, add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add pork back to the pan and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to combine.
- Add pineapple juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and water. Stir to distribute and bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 50 to 60 minutes or until very tender and liquid is reduced.
- Add brown sugar and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Add pineapple chunks and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve hot.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.