Rellenong Talong might be loosely translated as “stuffed aubergine omelette”. Aubergine – that’s how eggplants are in UK. Sounds quite posh isn’t it. we do not know why, but this dish was actually calledas tortang talong (aubergin e omellete). The latter is simply aubergine with eggs while the relleno has additional ground meat in it. So it’s right to call this relleno.
Rellenong Talong Recipe
- 1 large talong or aubergine
- half of Ginisang Giniling
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill aubergine on coals/stove/cooker or oven (230C) for about 20-30 minutes or until the aubergine is cooked. You can tell this when the skin is ‘papery’ and easily peels off.
- Peel off skin and mash the aubergine in a slightly deep plate. Add the sauteed minced pork and beaten eggs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan (preferably non-stick). Slide the aubergine mixture in the pan.
- Fry in medium to low heat until it is almost set. Carefully, flip the omelette and fry the other side until completely cooked.
- Put the aubergine mixture in a heat proof plate and bake in 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked and well set.