Adobo is a very famous dish in the Philippines. Everyone knows it and loves it! It may be cooked in so many ways. In this recipe, we will using the pork spare ribs.
Spare Ribs Adobo Recipe
- Pork spare ribs, 1kg
- Garlic, 5-7 cloves, crushed and chopped
- Onions, 1 whole, chopped
- Soy sauce, ½ cup
- Vinegar, ¼ cup
- Sugar, 2 tsp
- Butter, 50g
- Whole peppercorns, ½ tbsp
- Dried bayleaf, 4-5 pcs
- Water, ½ cup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil, 2-3 tbsp
1. Put oil in a heated wok.
2. Saute the garlic under medium to high heat.
3. Put in the onions when the garlic turns golden.
4. When the onions sweat, put in the pork spare ribs.
5. Fry the pork for about 15 minutes until they release fats and turn a bit charred.
6. Put in the soy sauce, vinegar and whole peppercorns.
7. Add the water and let it boil for another 10-15 minutes under low heat.
8. Close the lid and wait until the meat tenderises. Avoid opening the wok and just let it cook.
9. After 10 minutes, add in the bay leaves.
See if the pork is tender. If not yet, add another 5 minutes to get the texture that you desire. I for one go for the meat off the bone kind of cook. It usually takes 15 minutes for me. Add a little water if need be.
10. When the pork is tender enough as per your preference, add sugar and butter.
11. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on.
13. Serve with hot steamy rice.