Sweet and spicy dried pusit is a favorite Filipino dish that is made of dried squid, sugar, tomato sauce and chilli powder.
Sweet and Spicy Pusit Recipe
- 1.5 lbs squid, backbone removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc siling labuyo, minced (add more if you prefer more spicy)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Drain the squid in a colander for about 15 -20 minutes. (This is important because squid produces lots of water during cooking.
- Draining it beforehand will minimize water production later).
- Slice each squid into three to four pieces to produce squid rings.
- Heat oil in cooking pan or wok then add- in the garlic and pepper.
- Saute for about two minutes while constantly tossing to prevent the garlic from being burnt.
- Add in the sugar and the soy sauce and stir mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add in squid and let cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the squid is tender.
- Stir occasionally. At this stage, squid will produce more water.
- Once the squid is tender, add in ketchup and stir until the ketchup is evenly distributed.
- Turn off heat and serve hot. Enjoy!