Buko pie, sometimes anglicized as coconut pie, is a traditional Filipino baked young-coconut custard pie. It is considered a specialty in the city of Los Baños, Laguna located on the island of Luzon.
Homemade Buko Pie Recipe
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp milk for egg wash
- 4-6 tbsp ice water
For the filling:
- 3 cups young coconut meat
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- small slice of cheddar cheese to blend with condensed milk sweetness
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut water
1. Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the butter into the flour mixture, blend using pastry blender
3. Pour lightly beaten eggs and mix
4. Sprinkle dough with ice water, 1 tbsp at a time and mix until it holds together
5. Put dough into a lightly floured work space, cut the dough into half, pat and cover with plastic wrap separately.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour until firm.