Buko pie, sometimes anglicized as coconut pie, is a traditional Filipino baked young-coconut custard pie. It is considered a specialty in the city of Los Baños, Laguna located on the island of Luzon.
Homemade Buko Pie Recipe
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp milk for egg wash
- 4-6 tbsp ice water
For the filling:
- 3 cups young coconut meat
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- small slice of cheddar cheese to blend with condensed milk sweetness
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut water
1. Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the butter into the flour mixture, blend using pastry blender
3. Pour lightly beaten eggs and mix
4. Sprinkle dough with ice water, 1 tbsp at a time and mix until it holds together
5. Put dough into a lightly floured work space, cut the dough into half, pat and cover with plastic wrap separately.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour until firm.
Looking for other Lutong Pinoy Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our pork recipes, chicken recipes and desserts.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongpinoyrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.