Kalamay na Mais (Corn Cake) is a popular Filipino snack made from grated corn and coconut milk.
Kalamay Mais Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup grated young corn
- 4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 grated coconuts
- 1 cup hot water
- Mix the coconut with 1 cup hot water and extract the milk.
- Boil this until it forms into latik (syrup) and set aside.
- Mix the grated corn with 2 cups water and strain the juice.
- Moinsten the grated coconut again and extract the second milk.
- Mix with the grated corn and the sugar.
- Cook the mixture in a copper pot over a slow stirring constantly.
- When it is partly cooled, add the coconut oil and continue stirring until completely cooked.
- Pour onto a platter greased with oil and serve with latik and suman